Sunday 28 December 2014

Review of Valhalla and the Fjord

I have, once again, to remind myself to stop being slefish and to be thankful and grateful for what I have; the Newtownards Chronicle has carried out a rather glowing review of my book (Valhalla and the Fjord: A Spiritual Motorcycle Journey through the History of Strangford Lough). I have to say, when I first heard that the paper was carrying out a review I was aprehensive, I began to think; "what if they hated it" and self-doubt, as ever, crept and slithered into my mind. I was worried that the book had, perhaps, focused too much on archaeological and historical detail, or that I had been too introspective and self-examining whilst describing the sites such as Nendrum, Inch and Greyabbey. But the review seemed to suggest that they 'got it'.

I am now well into my second book, with approximately 30,000 words written thus far; and there is plenty to still write about! This next book is, essentially, a compilation of my blogs and notes from various motorcycle trips around Ireland, but I have stuck with a similar format, examining the history, archaeology of the locations as well as how they made me feel. Having completed another of Ted Simon's books (Rolling Through The Isles) and Sam Manicom's books (Into Africa and Under Asian Skies) I feel reinvigorated and ready to write more and more. I just hope there is an audience out there for them! 

A book launch for 'Valhalla' will probably be taking place in late January in Belfast - again a rather frightening thought as what if no-oneturns up...but things are rarely as bad as they seem in one's head.

No comments:

Post a Comment