Wednesday 1 May 2013

Sunday Pillion Pleasures!

There was to be a break in the weather on Sunday, and both of us were keen to try on our new gear. Especially the boots. This represented the first time that we were able to go out on the bike with complete kit. And it feel really good. The route wasn’t going to be too far…down to Inch Abbey outside Downpatrick and then to Sketrick Island (to see Sketrick Castle if we had time). 
 
But there was a palpable sense of anticipation and excitement. I lubed up the bike chain and we were off. This time with pillion gripper handles to make her life easier. Again, this was a shrewd move. The drive down was great….the back roads agreeably quiet, and there is, in itself, some spectacular countryside to behold on these roads so in a sense the destination is but a footnote. The extra loading on the bike was noticeable, but the handling was still great….although more on this in a few paragraphs time! We arrived at Inch Abbey, dismounted and began to explore. I have always loved the site, not so much because it’s a medieval ruin (which interest me anyway), but as I eluded to in earlier blogs, I find that there is something special about that place….I have always loved going there to simply contemplate….or “be” if I’m not being too Woodstock on it!

The site was also quiet…after a family had left taking their confirmation photographs. This always struck me as strange….why people don’t visit the heritage we have here more often. But I guess it’s only when its gone you realize what you had. I tried my best to explain rib-vaulting and gothic pointed archways without sounding too boring…but I think I was fighting a losing battle on that topic. But the biking was the main attraction and we couldn’t wait to hit the road again. We left Inch, travelling back up the B roads we had came on only this time turning towards Strangford and Killinchy to travel across the small causeway to Sketrick Island and Sketrick Castle. By this stage the temperature had noticeably dropped and the clouds had a more angry hue to them. I could smell rain in the air. The castle itself is a towerhouse ruin, and I have to say, rather uninspiring.
But we walked along the Lough shore to be joined by a lovely chocolate springer spaniel cross and a full springer. You would have thought they were our dogs! But it added a really pleasant vibe to the place….but we are both ‘dog people’! We got a bit wet on the way back, but nothing to write home about, our gear is meant for harsher conditions than these. I had to leave the bike in for a service in preparation for the ABR weekend. The bad news was that a rear shock needed replaced. This was a bit of a body blow….but with help from some ABR forum members….I managed to pick a new one up on eBay for less than I thought. Small mercies mean a lot! Combined with that I have decided to get two new Tourance tyres put on the bike, as well as the usual fluids and filters change and a new chain to boot. Hopefully this will serve me well for a while yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment