Monday 16 January 2012

New Triumph Tiger

After a hectic Friday (but a great Friday evening relaxing in front of the wood burner with a certain delectable someone) I was on the 212 to Derry on Saturday afternoon. I was heading up to meet Kivi and then to the outskirts of the city to see the Triumph Tiger. By the time we got there, it was dusk and a distinctly wintery temperature along with a ground-hugging light mist had descended on the area. The garage door opened and the order and tidy nature of the garage also gives good vibes. My eye immediately caught the sleak black lines of the Tiger, standing tall and looking exceptionally noble. I then noticed a classic BSA looking like it had just left the factory. A powerful looking Harley was also on its stand against the garage wall.

I took the bike out and decided the suggested test route was, indeed, best - up a hill on the 'B' roads then a loop round on myself to the dual carriageway to see how the bike handled on the tight twisties as well as the carraigeway power tests. I don't think the smile left my face the whole time....the power (and torque) was immediate but so manageable, the bike effortlessly leaned into the corners like it was an extension of my own body. The small wind deflector took away the buffeting I was used to on naked bikes. I decided on the spot that she was mine, and took her! The paperwork was completed and the cash handed over. I have to be honest and say that I genuinely believe I got a bargain. The bike is, probably, the cleanest I've ever owned, as well as the most powerful. But the paperwork with her goes back to the day she left the factory, service stamps from a Triumph dealer, all MOT's, every receipt for everything ever bought.

On Sunday, I awoke with a sense of anticipation, the weather was to be clear and dry (even if it was a little nippy). But a run into Donegall was on the cards and I knew the heated hand grips would take away any cold I felt.

The roads in Donegall were breathtaking, and on several occasions, we decided to see what the bikes were capable of (a lot is the short answer!). There were no "brown" moments as a cross wind hit you, the bike didn't even shimmy, she tracked straight and true. As we approached Donegal Town, we had high hills either side, the road cutting through the peaks like a thin black thread - a lake lay beside us (Lough Mourne then Lough Eske) with the low sunlight shimmering off the surface. A rest in the town square saw another biker join us on his GSXR 1300 who had followed us.

We shot the breeze in the square for about an hour, the row of machinery attracting attention. But it was soon time to go. I was to drive back to Belfast that evening and time was, alas, not on our side. After a delicious and warming dinner, I donned the bike gear and started the journey up to Belfast. It was beautiful, on the stretches of road (and there are many) that aren't lit, the stars were clearly visible; as Kivi had suggested, the heated handgrips almost personified the bike like she was comforting me. I never, for one second, felt alone on the journey. Even as I neared the peak of the Glenshane Pass, the fog blowing in with the cross winds across my path, the bike never missed a beat! I think we shall be friends for a while me and this lovely Triumph. I'm also reading Ted Simon's book[s] and he traveled the world on a Triumph!

No comments:

Post a Comment