Monday 11 April 2011

Old Memories

I took the opportunity with the good weather to don the leathers and head out on Friday night, Saturday and Sunday on the bike. The sky was clear and blue and the weather was perfect. I went over the Holywood Hills on Friday - there are some gems hidden away up here, taking Creighton's Green Road and stopping towards the top to admire the view[s] over Belfast Lough and towards Belfast. Spectacular! This is the location for the annual Croft Hill Climb, and I remember hearing the noise of the engines when I was younger. The road twists and for a part is completely enclosed in hedges. Like a green tunnel you wind your way left, then right, then left then right again.

The Lough was flat calm, and the sun shone off the surface. To my immediate right was a pathway that leads right down to the shore, from the top of the Hills. I've never actually walked the whole thing, which is a shame as it's literally on my back door step. I was the only person on the road, and I continued up the route, passing Creighton's Forest / Wood, another little woodland that I never knew existed! Although the original place name for Holywood is thought to be De Sacro Bosco (taken from the Monasticon Hibernicum) and it is thought to refer to the wood[s]. Although there are variations, with some evidence for ‘Ard Mhic Nasca’ [height of the son of Nasca]. This would have been St LaisrĂ©n (simply reading the Ordnance Survey Memoirs or Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland gives so much information on the history of an area before you visit).

On Saturday I visited Shaw's Bridge and the Giant's Ring. I excavated a Neolthic site beside the Giant's Ring in 1995 and it broughtback a lot of memories. The site is nice for a walk through thte twisting paths, and eventually you'll find yourself down and the river and the Shaw's Brige walking paths. Although with the sun blazing, a long walk was not what I either needed or wanted to do in bike leathers! I can remember being taken to the Giant's Ring as a child, and actually thinking the stone dolman in the centre was supposed to actually be a ring worn by a giant! (My youthful imagination ran riot!). There originally would have been more to the dolman, possibly a passage tomb or something of that ilk.....it is also though that the banks of the henge might originally have been white, making the site visible for miles around. But as I stood on top of the banks and looked across to Ballynahatty (the site I excavated) I was instantly transported back to that long hot summer, I remember the dog from teh neighbouring farm (Polly) and old golden retriever / lab lumbering along towards us, and promptly plonking herself beside your trench and dozing in the sunshine. Halceon days. I've noticed recently that I am looking back at such times with rose tinted glasses. An inevitability of getting older perhaps.
It is still quite surprising to me that situated within a stones throw from the urban sprawl of Belfast lies such a site. There is something mystical about it, although I am not one of these people that will sit in the middle attempting to meditate and chant "Ummmmmmmmm". Not my style, although whatever floats your boat! The roads around here are a gem...a tad rough on the surface, but scenic and a delight to drive (also not very busy). You can occasionally hear the nosie of a sports bike engine at high revs not too far away....someone else is clearly out enjoying themselves! I found myself standing by the river's edge having just come from the Giant's Ring in contemplative mood....time to think....I think.....is always good. I love the idea of "regret nothing", but I simply don't believe that there are people out there that would not like to go back and re-do some things over. I enjoyed the ride....and if the weather holds, will definitely do it again on weekends. There are raths, castles dotted everywhere. Especially on the coast[s]. I think a run down to Nendrum (which has Mahee or Magee Castle beside it) on the shores of Strangford Lough is called for! I'll definitely bring the camera, as the landscape there is breathtaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment